2012 Scholarship Winner
This year, the Farmingville Hills Chamber of Commerce, Inc. offered its first $500 scholarship to a Sachem East High School Senior. Students were asked to record a 3-5 minute video telling us what they could do to "make a difference" in the Farmingville Community. The student then was asked to share the video on Facebook.com/FarmingvilleHillsChamber
The winner of the $500 scholarship for 2012 is Alexa Brown
. Alexa will be attending Hofstra University to study Biology.
Alexa feels the following suggestions would "make a difference" in Farmingville:
• Plan a Community Cleanup Day.
• Convert the old Mobile Gas Station on North Ocean Avenue into a Community Center.
• Place recycling bins and additional garbage pals in shopping center parking lots.
• Plant additional trees and flowers in shopping center parking lots.
• Install red light cameras at the intersection of Horseblock Road and North Ocean Avenue (County Road 83) to improve safety.
• Install additional crosswalks along Horseblock Road and Granny Road.
- The Farmingville Hills Chamber, with the Farmingville Residents Association, Inc., is planning a Community Cleanup Day on Saturday, May 12th, from 10am - 12pm. The Chamber will start at the Farmingville Hills County Park located across from the post office, and work East and West on Horseblock Road. Our goal is to clean up the business district before the Memorial Day Parade. If you would like to get involved, email us at email@example.com
- The Mobile Gas Station is slated to be re-opened as a newly renovated gas station in the near future. However, according to the redevelopment plan, Farmingville: Our Vision For Tomorrrow
, a community center is slated to be built in Farmingville.
Check Out Alexa's video below. Visit Facebook.com/FarmingvilleHillsChamber
and "Like" her video.